TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran and the United States are to agree on a new date for a fourth round of talks on Iraq by mid-March, the Iraqi foreign minister said on Friday.
“The date for the next round of negotiations between the US and Iran on security matters in Iraq will be determined by mid-March,” Hoshyar Zebari said, Ria Novosti reported.
He said the talks, which were to have taken place in Baghdad on February 15-17, had previously been adjourned for technical reasons.
Iran and the US held the first three rounds of talks in Baghdad last summer, pledging to set up a three-party committee on Iraq’s security and defense capabilities. They were the first direct talks between the two countries since they severed relations in 1979 following the Islamic Revolution which overthrew the US-backed Shah.
The two countries are currently embroiled in a row over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program.
ISNA said Tehran is insisting the talks should be held between ambassadors. Washington would prefer the talks to involve security experts.