President Demetris Christofias said on Tuesday (June 2nd) he has made no concessions in the ongoing reunification talks, and has no intention of doing so. “Any such move would harm Greek Cypriots’ interests and efforts to find a solution to the island’s political problem,” he stressed.
He was responding to Cypriot Archbishop Chrysostomos II, who said last week that the Greek Cypriot side is making “too many concessions” in the talks.
As for Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat’s recent remarks, insisting Turkish Cypriots keep at least 29% of the island’s territory in a future federal state, as well as the disputed town of Morphou, Christofias said “I suspect Talat is under pressure, internally and from Turkey, to make such statements.”
Meanwhile, Talat warned on Tuesday the reunification talks could not “continue forever”. In an interview with the Turkish Cypriot News Agency, he said the first phase of the negotiations will be completed in July.