An informed source privy to Iran-US talks denied earlier reports on an incoming meeting between Iran’s deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi and Advisor to the US Secretary of State David Satterfield, describing the news as unfounded. The report was released by the Kuwait-based paper ‘Al-Watan’, which said that Araghchi and Satterfield would soon attend a meeting in Baghdad in coming days in the presence of Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari.
The source further told FNA that studies are still underway at Iranian foreign ministry to specify a proper date for the talks and the level of Iranian negotiators.
He stressed that the two Kuwaiti papers ‘Al-Watan’ and ‘Al-Siyasah’ are pursuing ill intentions and that their moves are against Iran’s national interests.
Earlier on Sunday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Seyed Mohammad Ali Hosseini said during his weekly press conference that the US had extended an official request to Iran via the Swiss embassy in Tehran to attend talks over Iraq.
In absence of formal diplomatic ties, Swiss embassy serves as the US interest section in Tehran.
Hosseini said that the date and level of talks would be publicized next week.
The two Kuwaiti papers also claimed that Satterfield was scheduled to attend a separate meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Mualem in Baghdad.