Egypt military says top Islamist killed in Sinai

imgEgypt’s military said on Sunday a founder of a militant faction in North Sinai that pledged allegiance to the Islamic State jihadist group was killed in an air strike.
A total of 18 “extremely dangerous” insurgents were killed and others wounded in raids carried out on March 18, it said.
Among those killed was Salem Selmi el-Hamadeen, known as Abu Anas al-Ansari, a founder and top member of Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, the military said on its official Facebook page.
Ansar Beit al-Maqdis is the name used by the group before it pledged allegiance to ISIS in November 2014.
IS reported the death of the militant, active in the Sinai peninsula ever since the mid-2000s, in its weekly newsletter Al-Nabaa last Thursday.
Ansari “joined the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group, becoming one of its first members, and since jihad began in Sinai he was one of its building blocks”, ISIS said.
He was previously a member of Al-Tawhid Wal-Jihad, a group that claimed a string of bombings at Red Sea resorts in the Sinai from 2004 to 2006 killing more than 100 people, it said.

Check Also

Hamas submits Gaza cease-fire response to Qatar, Egypt

Hamas’ formal reply comes a day after the UN Security Council passed a resolution backing …