Hezbollah fires 160 rockets at Israel after senior commander killed

Hezbollah launched more than 160 rockets at north Israel in response to the death of the most senior commander in the Lebanese group killed since the cross-border hostilities began in October.

More than 160 rockets were fired from Lebanon toward northern Israel Wednesday morning in one of the largest barrages since the cross-border fighting between Hezbollah and the Israeli army erupted last October. The rockets come hours after the killing of several Hezbollah operatives including a senior commander in an overnight Israeli airstrike in southern Lebanon.

The Israeli military said at least 70 rockets were launched at the Mount Meron area in northern Israel. Several were intercepted by air defenses while others fell in open areas and some caused material damage in other locations.

Earlier in the morning, another barrage of some 90 rockets were fired toward the northern Israeli cities of Safed, Rosh Pina and Tiberias as well as surrounding areas in the Galilee, the army said in a second announcement. No injuries have been reported.

Check Also

Putin’s New War Economy

Why Soviet-Style Military Spending—and State Intervention—Won’t Save Russia In Russia, the tradition of making fun …